Saturday 12 April 2014

PET Writing Part 1 practice

Dear PET students,
Here you have over 60 sentences to rewrite so that you can practice for Writing Part 1. You can also find them in a Word document here, together with the Answer Key. Obviously, you have to try to rewrite them yourselves before looking at the answer key!
I have also added extra sentences at the end of this blog entry.
Have a nice Easter,
 Josué

VERB TENSES
1. They came to live in New York two years ago.
They have _____________________ New York for two years.
2. My last job was in 2007.
I have been _____________________ 2007.
3. When I was a child, we would go to the park every afternoon.
When I was a child, we _____________________ to go to the park every afternoon.
4. I haven’t seen Brandon for ages.
It’s been a long time _____________________ saw Brandon.
5. They were still playing tennis after three hours.
They _____________________ tennis for three hours.
6. What a shame he wasn’t able to come.
I wish he _____________________ to come.
7. I haven’t eaten paella for 2 years.
The last time _____________________ was two years ago.
8. Children don’t play board games anymore.
Children used _____________________ board games.

MODAL VERBS
9. Smoking is forbidden in hospitals.
You _____________________ in hospitals.
10. It isn’t necessary to bring skis as they are included in the package.
You do _____________________ bring skis as they are included in the package.
11. I thought I could park here.
I thought parking _____________________ here.
12. Perhaps we will go on a pilgrimage next month.
We _____________________ a pilgrimage next month.
13. She could read when she was three.
She _____________________ to read when she was three.
14. Atletico de Madrid could win the Spanish league this year.
It is _____________________ Atletico de Madrid will win the Spanish league this year.
15. I think Tom needs to see a doctor. His cough is terrible.
With that terrible cough, Tom ought _____________________ a doctor.
16. He couldn’t find me at the park.
He wasn’t able _____________________ me at the park.
17. She let her son go to the concert.
She allowed _____________________ go to the concert.
18. She has probably found a new job.
It is _____________________ she has found a new job.
19. You must not drink in here.
_____________________ allowed in here.

PASSIVE VOICE
20. The president of the USA made an important announcement yesterday.
An important announcement _____________________ the president of the USA yesterday.
21. Somebody should tell him.
He needs _____________________ by somebody.
22. They believe the Holy Grail is in Valencia.
The Holy Grail is _____________________ in Valencia.
23. They couldn’t find the other driver.
The other driver could _____________________.
24. People expect that the President will resign.
The President is _____________________ resign.
25. If you don’t work hard enough, you will be fired.
Your boss will _____________________ unless you work hard enough.

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
26. I didn’t understand what he was saying because I hadn’t read his book.
If I had read his book I _____________________ what he was saying.
27. You should take the train instead of the bus.
If I _____________________, I would take the train instead of the bus.
28. If our tickets don’t arrive, we won’t be able to go.
We won’t be able to go unless _____________________.
29. Your friend will miss the train if he doesn’t come before ten.
a) If your friend _____________________ ten, he will miss the train.
b) _____________________ before ten, your friend will miss the train.

REPORTED SPEECH
30. ‘Luke, I am your father,’ said Darth Vader.
Darth Vader _____________________ he was his father.
31. ‘Don’t cheat in the exam,’ said the teacher.
The teacher told the students _____________________ in the exam.
32. ‘Can I open the window, Susan?’ asked Tom.
Tom asked Susan _____________________ open the window.
33. ‘Open the window, please, Susan’ asked Tom.
Tom asked Susan _____________________ open the window.
34. ‘Why don’t we play computer games?’ said Michael.
 Michael suggested _____________________ computer games.
35. ‘Are you coming to the party tomorrow?’ she said.
She asked him if he was coming to the party _____________________.
36. Tom said, ‘I will be playing tennis when you arrive.’
Tom said _____________________ playing tennis when I arrived.
37. ‘What time do the banks close today?’ Jonah asked me.
Jonah asked me what time _____________________ that day.

COMPARATIVE AND SUPERLATIVE STRUCTURES
38. I think the book is better than the movie.
I prefer the book _____________________ the movie.
39. Albert’s drawing isn’t as good as Gerald’s.
Gerald’s drawing is _____________________ Albert’s.
40. Huesca is less exciting than Valencia.
a) Huesca is not _____________________ Valencia.
b) Valencia is _____________________ Huesca.
41. He couldn't reach the cup because it was too high.
The cup wasn’t _____________________ for him to reach.
42. All the other girls in my family are shorter than me.
I am the _____________________ in my family.
43. I couldn’t go in because I wasn’t old enough.
I was too _____________________ to go in.
44. There is no better swimmer in class than Michael.
Michael is _____________________ swimmer in class.
45. The tickets are too expensive for me.
I don’t have _____________________ to pay for the tickets.

OTHER STRUCTURES AND EXPRESSIONS
46. They paid for dinner because they wanted to apologise for their behaviour.
a) They paid for dinner in _____________________ apologise for their behaviour.
b) They paid for dinner so _____________________ apologise for their behaviour.
c) They paid for dinner as _____________________ their behaviour.
47. Although the weather was horrible, we went skiing.
a) In spite _____________________ weather, we went skiing.
b) __________________________ weather, we went skiing.
48. Despite being sick, she went to work.
Although __________________________, she went to work.
49. Can I open the window?
Do you __________________________ open the window?
50. If only you didn’t live so far away.
I __________________________ you didn’t live so far away.
51. She wasn’t responsible for the accident.
The accident __________________________ fault.
52. He didn’t want to join the celebrations.
He didn’t want to take __________________________ the celebrations.
53. Don’t let me forget to call Jack.
__________________________ me to call Jack.
54. I don’t agree with the new law.
I’m __________________________ the new law.
55. I’m in favour of the new law.
I __________________________ with the new law.
56. Can you look after the kids this afternoon?
Can you take __________________________ the kids this afternoon?
57. I didn’t mean to break the vase.
I didn’t break the vase on __________________________.
58. Jack says it’s Jenny’s responsibility.
According to Jack, Jenny __________________________.
59. I was so bored by the movie that I left.
The movie was __________________________ that I left.
60. Can you describe your bedroom to me?
What is your __________________________?

EXTRA PRACTICE:
61. I fell asleep at the cinema because the movie was really boring.
The movie was __________________________ I fell asleep at the cinema.
62. Kevin and Gary are the same age.
Gary is __________________________ as Kevin.
63. Francis and Jordan's relationship was successful.
Francis and Jordan's relationship __________________________ out.
64. Could I borrow your calculator? Mine is broken.
Could I borrow your calculator? Mine __________________________ work.
65. I don't know.
__________________________ idea.
I don't __________________________ clue.
66. I'm not sure whether it will rain.
I'm not sure __________________________ it will rain or not.
67. I can' go to the cinema with you. I don't have any more money.
I can't go to the cinema with you. I've __________________________ of money.

1 comment:

  1. Genial voy a practicar todo esto...! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete